SotA — fast skill gains

SotA — oldschool MMORPG from Richard Garrior — creator of Ultima Online %)
tangar
Adept

SotA — fast skill gains

Postby tangar » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:58 am

There is a big discussion about skill gains at official SotA forums. My two cents there...

There are always would be hardcore players who play 10 hours per day, who knows "effective way" for skill training - "features","tricks" and even "bugs"... also some @#$% are using "afk macro" (hello, UO!).

Very often (but not always) hardcore players have "hardcore" goals - to PWN all the World and become "The Best of the Best", to make all GMs as fast as it could be... They do not _explore_ the world, do not RP.. They know everything about the game and they getting bored when they get to the "ceiling" of the game. As they are quite "pro" in char advancing, it could be very soon, not really matter how fast skills could be gained... Also interesting thing, that after hardcore players get to the "ceiling", they could transfer to "casual gamers" category and start to explore the world & etc...

The good thing about it - that hardcore players is 5-10% of population. Most of the population - its normal, casual players who play 1-2 hours per day. And they advance their characters 5-10 times slower cause they do not know "effective ways" to train, they explore world and the game slowly, they just have fun in there.

A lot of people who read this words are playing the game already for 1-2 years. You know the game very well and know hot to advance fast. You could be even not hardcore players, but you _know_ the game and do everything _much faster_ then we, army of newbies, who just get into the game. We do not know nothing. We advance chars very slow. Please try to look at the game with ours, newbie, eyes.

So every MMORPG (sorry, but SotA imho is clearly MMORPG game, just with some casual options) could be adjusted to hardcore players or casual players. Or something in between. Right now SotA is VERY hard game for a new player. It has very uncommon, to other modern MMORPG, features. Everything is different. So starting the game and trying to understand whats happening is huge challenge for a new player. Make it even more hardcore... It would not be wise imho.

Dear hardcore players. You would get your endgame soon, devs working at it; I'm sure you would need for it to advance your skills to 200, not to 100 and it would take some months (years?) of your time. So relax and give casuals like me their time to _have fun_ in the game. You already made all GM chars? Good job, its cool achievement. But why to ask now make skill gains harsher if you already got your GMs and we (casuals) just started? So we would stuck at ~40 each skill? And another slippy question - there was several wipes before, why you was silent about skills there?

No offence to anyone, I respect people who aquire big goals in gaming. I was pretty hardcore player myself for many years... But His Majesty "Time" makes you casual eventually :)
http://youtube.com/GlazGame — streams in english // http://youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in russian

Return to “Shroud of the Avatar”